shhhhh, I’m not supposed to publish pictures. Don’t worry no spoilers here.
I am participating in Kimberly Einmo’s Craftsy Mystery Quilt.
Don’t ask me why.
I don’t like mystery quilts.
I could say I was coerced on Twitter by people I have never met. How ridiculous does that sound? I won’t name names….
Here is why I don’t like mystery quilts:
The size is predetermined with no options
- Having to choose fabrics when you don’t know where you are going with them
- Fabric requirements are not specific enough especially if you are using scraps
- Many times the fabric requirements come in bits and pieces so you don’t know the total amount needed
This mystery quilt was better than expected:
The instructions were very specific on choosing fabric
- You could post your fabric choices and get suggestions from the instructor (Invaluable!)
- There were several different size options to choose from
- The fabric requirements were very clear
I wanted to use fabrics from my stash and here were my first two choices:
I wasn’t so sure on the order of the first set, so I reversed fabrics 3 and 4 to get this:
I submitted my options for suggestions and I was told I was good to go! Since I was working in my stash without a lot of yardage, I was limited to a crib-size quilt (32×32). With that in mind, I went with the brighter colors.
Here are my fabrics cut to size and labeled by step number:
My top is complete with a border added, here are a couple of sneak peaks:
See no spoilers!
This was a fun, easy to piece quilt, with clear instructions.
I have to purchase backing and binding fabric and I will be all set to start quilting it, though now it will be 3rd in line for quilting.
If you like mystery quilts, have wondered about mystery quilts or interested in doing one, I would suggest you check out the class on Craftsy. If you sign up for their notifications you will receive sale notifications…..
Do you like mystery quilts? Why or why not? I’d like to hear your thoughts.
Enjoy the Journey, Jackie